Re: freeswan 1.5 Debian packages available

I have a question on whether freeswan is the type of software that I
need.  I am not familiar with IPsec but I will need to become familiar
with it.

Our information technology group has introduced a new service whereby
a home cable modem can run over a connection that is directly peered
with our university network.  They use virtual private networking
software on the link.  Of course, they provide the client software for
"both kinds of computers - Windows *and* Macintosh" (that always
reminds me of the scene in "The Blues Brothers" where the proprietor
of a bar says they listen to "both kinds of music - country *and*
western").  When I mention that I would like to put a Linux machine on
the network they stare at me blankly.

I just installed the client on a Windows 98 machine.  The software
claims to be an Extranet Access Client (I have forgotten the name of
the vendor but can find it when I go home, if that would help) that
uses the IPsec protocol with ISAKMP/Oakley Key Exchange.

Is this enough to get me started trying to bring a Linux machine onto
the VPN?

If so, what client software will I need?