Re: ITP: task-cups-printing

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Mariusz.Przygodzki@WAW1.siemens.pl wrote:
> Thanks.I has just reviewed this discussion and I have headache.
> I have some proposal and please don't blame me
> if somebody is not happy from it.
> What's wrong in following proposal (this is only theoretical game):
>
> 1. We have standard package task-printing.
> 2. task-printing depends on
> 	lpr | task-lprng-printing | task-cups-printing | task-...
>    and above packages are optional (except of lpr)
>    and conflicts between themselves.

I'd prefer if the GUI CLIENT frontend packages were added as Suggests: to
the client cupsys package, any eventual GUI server frontends added as
Suggests: to the server cupsys package, and no task-cups-printing package
tot ever see the light of the day.

The less task-* packages we have, the better. Besides, that's what Suggests:
(and Recommends:, I suppose) are there for.

Now, task-print-server (or whatever the task package for printing is) might
depend on lpr | lprng | cupsys (not real package names). That's something
else entirely.  I personally don't think CUPS is stable enough yet to be
pushed as a standard printing package for Debian (I may not have worked in
any CUPS stuff for a while, but I do read the CUPS mailing list), but that's
not for me to decide, AND only my humble opinion.

  Henrique Holschuh