Re: AIDE "atime in future" false alarms

On Sun, 29 Oct 2000, Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn wrote:
> I get this sort of things in the daily reports:
>
>   /lib/modules/2.2.17/misc atime in future
>
> It's probably because the BIOS clock is _not_ UTC (I have a dual boot
> box with the well known os (sort of) vendor installation).

I'd tell the "other os" I'm GMT+00 and to get its filthy hands off the RTC,
since it cannot even deal with daylight saving times properly.

But you're right, yes. However, the real culprit is the currently
broken-as-designed way hwclock is used in Debian. Some Alpha machines have
much worse problems than this (they think the year is 2030 or something
weird like that).

The solution is to apply a patch to hwclock (I wrote it and sent it to the
BTS quite some time ago) to get it to act properly in a RO "/etc"-only
environment, and have a new initscript that is called VERY early in the init
process to set the kernel timezone. It's also in the BTS (see #66571).

You could try prodding the util-linux maintainer to fix this mess, if you
want a final solution to your UTC problem and messed-up filesystem atimes...

But it would be quite nice to tell AIDE to shut up about atime problems,
indeed :-)

  Henrique Holschuh