Re: Comments on FHS testsuite run

>>>>> "Daniel" == Daniel Quinlan <quinlan@transmeta.com> writes:

The problem here is that the FHS test obviously mandates a certain set
of packages (and not just a Filesystem *Hierarchy*).  Which it doesn't
specify.

Lots of machines out there will not be FHS compliant in one way or
another.  Obviously this would mean that FHS need not only specify the
required dirs/files, but also specify *when* these are required, like:

[In all commentary, I go by fhs.txt.gz as included in the
debian-policy package.  If anything I say is already in the works,
ignore it...]

    >> * Reference 3.1-42: /bin/domainname not found
    >> Reason: test install was incomplete
    >>
    >> The test did not have the nis package installed; this package
    >> provides full support for NIS clients and servers.

"When NIS is installed, /bin must contain a domainname binary" or some
such language.

Will this bloat the FHS?  Guess so... but many folks will pretty
certainly not look much into the FHS (or the test suite) when we force
them to have a certain set of packages installed to use it.  (Except
distribution builders (I hate `vendors' here... ;-))

    >> * Reference: 3.4-5: /etc/fdprm not found
    >> Reason: flaw in test

    >> The fdprm file has become obsolete in version 5.0 of fdutils
    >> and has been reaplced with /etc/driveprm; it should be removed
    >> from the standard.

    Daniel> I'd remove any fdutils-specific stuff from FHS.  fdutils
    Daniel> isn't exactly required these days.

Do the same with mtools below, please... diskless servers, or mounting
floppies, and mtools is obsolete too.

I personally would get rid of about all the required files in
/etc... most of them are questionable (adjtime: atomic clock, or ntpd,
and it's gone; lilo.conf: I just this very minute remote Lilo
here... grub's better ;-)

    >> * Reference 3.4-30: /etc/hosts.lpd not found
    >> Reason: bug in Debian

    >> Looks like a real bug. lprng uses /etc/lprng/lpd.conf instead
    >> so this only applies to machines using lpr.

    Daniel> I'm not sure about this.

What if I don't have a printer installed on my network?  Okay, might
be rare... but then again, not impossible.

Oh, and the required files for Networking: exports?  ftpusers?  I was
shocked... I hadn't even noticed those before (Honestly, I didn't look
at the /etc chapter in detail... "all config files under /etc" is
enough to make me happy ;-)

Bye, J

--
Jürgen A. Erhard    juergen.erhard@gmx.net   phone: (GERMANY) 0721 27326