Re: Books to teach myself 'programming infrastructure'

Christian Pernegger wrote:

> How to set up the project's non-source files? (Makefile, etc)

Read GNU Coding standards. package gnu-standards
The first thing to read is the make info manual.
Use emacs, tkinfo or pinfo for browsing info manuals,
I like tkinfo and pinfo so I wanted to mention them :)

> How to use automake/autoconf?

The manuals for these tools are comprehensive, but you might
also want to look at an online book about autotools at sources.redhat.com

> How to make everything quite portable?

That's part of configuration. autoconf and friends help
you do that.

Also there's a nice package called autoproject in debian. It can
create a pretty complete skeletal project dir.

If you work through that code, the code in GNU hello package,
and examples in autoconf/automake manuals you'll have covered
most of the process.

Cheers,

--
Eray (exa) Ozkural