Re: Misclassification of packages; "libs" and "doc" sections

Eray Ozkural <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr> writes:

> Well, no. Category Theory has radical differences from the rest of
> Algebra. As you may know Category Theory is used in various ways,
> one of which is meta-mathematics, connecting theories of seemingly
> distinct subjects into a uniform framework. Thus, at least
> for a philosopher of Mathematics, it has serious implications about
> the fundamental questions.

Yes... but nothing to do with "category" in metaphysics.

The mathematical notion of category is important for many things, some
of them philosophical.  But it simply doesn't mean anything really
like the same thing as category in metaphysics.

> I suggest you to read a more thorough exposition of Category Theory
> for it is the most abstract theory ever devised by mathematicians
> and is of general interest to philosophers.

I fully grant that the mathematical notion of category should be
important to philosophers.  Even if it were the most important thing
possible, with ramifications in every conceivable area of philosophy,
that *still* doesn't make it similar to the traditional metaphysical
notion of "category".

I *completely* agree that the mathematical notion of category theory
is important.  All you've done (and others) is repeat how very totally
important it is.  Great!  That doesn't make it the same thing as the
traditional notion of "category", anymore than it makes it the same
thing as the traditional notion of "fish", "sophistry", or
"pythagoreanism".

Thomas