Re: All services that require a restart from libc6 upgrade...

** On Oct 17, Ben Collins scribbled:
> On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 06:39:02PM -0300, Nicol?s Lichtmaier wrote:
> > > Ok, I'm tired of having to track all services that might need to be
> > > restarted after a libc6 upgrade. So here's what I am going to do. I want
> > > to require all packages that need this to declare a new reply in it's init
> > > script. It's very simple, I check your init script like this:
> >
> >  Is it posible to detect if the service needs a restart by examining the
> > executable file?
> >
> >  E.g.:
> > 	objdump -T $( readlink -f /proc/$PID/exe ) | egrep 'symbol1|symbol2'
> >
> >  The processes to restart could be taken from ps AND /etc/init.d/*.
>
> How would it know that it is a service as opposed to a running "ls" or
> cronjob? How would it know how to restart simple executables?
Maybe it's time to start marking daemon service packages as such? Some field
(say 'Daemon: yes|no' - if the field is present and its value is 'yes'
then it requires restart on nss change, if it is present and its value is
'no' - no restart is required) in control would be just fine, I suppose.

marek