Re: All services that require a restart from libc6 upgrade...

    Ben> Ok, I'm tired of having to track all services that might need
    Ben> to be restarted after a libc6 upgrade. So here's what I am
    Ben> going to do. I want to require all packages that need this to
    Ben> declare a new reply in it's init script. It's very simple, I
    Ben> check your init script like this:

    Ben> ---- check=$(/etc/init.d/service nss-check 2>&1 || true)

Isn't checking every file under /etc/init.d going to be a bottleneck?

How about an alternative:

every package that is affected calls:

(postinst)

libc6_upgrade_register /etc/init.d/package restart

(prerm)

libc6_upgrade_deregister /etc/init.d/package restart

I assume that not many packages will be affected?

Or, if libc6 isn't the only package with this problem,
a more general solution:

(postinst)

dpkg_register upgrade libc6 /etc/init.d/package restart

(prerm)

dpkg_deregister upgrade libc6 /etc/init.d/package restart

which is better, as it is more general. libc6 would check what
packages have been registered in its postinst script, eg with a
similar call to one of the above. (ultimately, for the most general
solution, dpkg should support it).
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>