Re: traceroute root exploit

On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 10:24:19PM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 07:57:00PM -0400, Adam McKenna wrote:
> > A root exploit for traceroute that was verified to work on potato was posted
> > to bugtraq almost a week ago, yet no security bulletin has been published and
> > the update has not yet been released for potato.  I've been told by a member
> > of the security team that the update is sitting in proposed-updates, and has
> > been for over a month.  What is holding up this update?
>
> For reference, I believe this is the seventh or eighth email on this
> topic I've sent in several days, including a few to this list...
>
> We are backlogged.  I am busy with my classwork, as midterms approach,
> but I'm trying to get advisories out as I can; Joey is unavailable;
> Wichert and Michael Stone are both away for a few days, I think.  We're
> trying.  Because I have said in several forums that the traceroute fix
> was available, it was not high on my list of priorities.  It will be
> done soon.

One of the reasons I started using Debian was the frequent security updates.
I am very happy to help with this aspect of Debian because I consider it one
of the most important.  However, my new-maintainer app hasn't been processed
yet.

--Adam

--
Adam McKenna <adam-sig@flounder.net> | "No matter how much it changes,