Re: What is a Kernel?

On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 11:49:22PM +0300, Moshe Zadka wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Adam McKenna wrote:
>
> > You're getting through loud and clear.  What you have failed to realize is
> > that the problem you're complaining about has already been solved, with
> > kernel-package.
>
> Then why isn't kernel-package Required, and why doesn't libc have Depends:
> on it?

Because, that would be dumb.  People should only have to install packages
that they need and want to use.  If someone doesn't want to install
kernel-package, then we shouldn't make them.

> > Tell them to use kernel-package.
>
> They won't, unless they have an incentive. "libc depends on it" is a good
> incentive.

Their incentive is to have a kernel that's integrated into their OS's
packaging system.  If they don't care about this, then why should we force
them to?

--Adam

--
Adam McKenna <adam-sig@flounder.net> | "No matter how much it changes,