Re: Radical idea, test backwards compatibility instead of recompile

Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> writes:

> You people are missing one important bit of information. libc.so.6 is
> perfectly backward compatible. That library never broke anything. It was
> the db libraries. It does not matter if you start recompiling against the
> new glibc, because you can no longer link against it's version of libdb.

But as I understand it, we have a bug still, because we (Debian) have
discontinued support for something (like the old db format, and the
old db library interface), and users might well want those things to
continue to work on woody.

Can we please make it possible for them to continue to work?  What
exactly are the obstacles there?