Re: dpkg --force default?

>>>>> "Nicolás" == Nicolás Lichtmaier <nick@debian.org> writes:

    Nicolás>  If all file conflict problems are solved, force
    Nicolás> shouldn't be activated in stable either. I think that was
    Nicolás> the original plan...

I agree. While, in a number of cases you can get away with file
conflicts (ie the conflicting file has identical functionality), this
doesn't always apply.

For instance, my Heimdal package includes a number of files, which, if
installed in the wrong spot could seriously effect the
computer. Perhaps the most serious libcom_err and libss (yes, I am
trying to get these removed). At the moment, there is not a problem,
because the major versions are different. I would much sooner that
somebody received a proper error, rather then install a new library
that could potentially break the computer.

I think it would be great though if there was some way of
automatically determining what files conflict (where the packages
don't conflict), including multiple package that contain the same
library (even with a different major version number).
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>