Re: [OT] Which scripting language for physicist?

On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 01:18:21AM +0300, Eray Ozkural wrote:
> A friend of mine needs to write control programs for physics
> lab equipment. He'll probably be using serial or parallel ports
> for signaling. He doesn't know programming so I advised
> him to start off with an interpreted language. Which PL would you
> advise for such a task?
>
> Another constraint is portability: it'd better if the program could
> run on both linux and windoze.
>
> I told him that python, tcl/tk, or perl would do the job for him,
> he chose python because of the high-quality online docs. However,
> I'm not that sure. I'd like to hear your opinion.

I think any of those could do it.  My only suggestion would be to
help your friend identity parts of the project he cannot handle, like
maybe the low level port control. (I couldn't do that) and then find
the right modules, break it up.

Since your friend chose python, trust the force. ;^)

Windows, linux, beginner, serial/parallel ports,
portability... choose 2.  ;^)

cfm

--

Christopher F. Miller, Publisher                             cfm@maine.com
MaineStreet Communications, Inc         208 Portland Road, Gray, ME  04039