Re: unstable, metastable, stable

Alexander Perry wrote:
> The definition of "metastable" is those packages which,
> even if full of bugs, are unable to cause a denial of
> service to users other than the one which invoked it.
> I'd assume that "xclock" would be eligible, for example.

Since most linux systems, and Debian by default, are not configured with
any form of hard resource limits, and since linux has abysmal memory
management, *any* program can bring down the system. All xclock would
need is a memory leak that ate, say 1 kb a minute. Eventually, linux
would start killing random processes to free up memory.

Set up hard resource limits today -- I have.

--
see shy jo