Re: SSL and main

On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Buddha Buck wrote:

> At 12:53 PM 9/27/00 -0400, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
>
> >Maybe I'm a little slow on the uptake but something just occurred to
> >me.  Wasn't Sep. 20 the date the RSA patent expired?  If so, let's start
> >the process of moving from non-us all the packages which are there simply
> >because of that patent.
>
> Hmmm, Could you list which packages in non-us
>
> 1) are there because of the RSA patent, but
> 2) aren't crypto-related?

I was specifically thinking of SSLized apps.  I thought the reason that
they were in non-us is they require RSA to be legally used in the US.

> Or is crypto no longer a valid reason to have something in non-us instead
> of main?

That's a slightly different but overlapping issue.  I thought encryption
upto a certain number of bits (40? 128?) was allowed now.

But I don't follow this stuff closely.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>