Re: APM (was Re: hardware-screensaver: dpms)

On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Henrique M Holschuh wrote:

> Well, kernel APM config does have a "blank console through APM" option
Yes, but I've read the documentation to that option and there is a
hint to problems with gpm.  When I tried it about one year ago I had
problems with gpm and so I kept in mind that this option is not good
for me.  Console without gom is useless, isn't it?

> or
> something like that, which I like to enable just in case it's required
> get the VESA DPMS interface (which on some videoboards will disable the
> pixel clock and output drivers, and let the board itself cool down)
> instead
> of the limited vsync/hsync tricks.
>
> Also, I've found that the computer runs MUCH cooler and eats up less
> power
> if I leave APM enabled and configure the kernel to make APM idle
> calls...
This is my APM-configuration:

CONFIG_APM=y
# CONFIG_APM_DISABLE_BY_DEFAULT is not set
# CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y
CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y
# CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK is not set
# CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_SUSPEND_BOUNCE is not set
CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT=y

I'm using Matrox Millenium II and Matrox G200 on several boxes as well as
PS/2 mouse.  Are there any known problems with this and
  CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK=y    ?

Kind regards

         Andreas.