Re: HOWTO: Join the 6bone!

Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@ualberta.ca> writes:

> On Sun, 24 Sep 2000, Henrique M Holschuh wrote:
>
> > If ipv6 is going to be *forced disabled* by default, requiring explict
> > action to configure the machine for ipv6 (such as a "Do you want ipv6
> > support enabled by default... warning: don't enable it if you don't need
> > it"), then I will feel much better about the issue.
>
> This is already the case, unless you are actually on a v6 enabled network
> (with the ipv 6 module loaded) or you have manually started the sit0
> tunnel you will not be able to get any ipv6 datagrams at a kernel level.

Well yes and no, even if you don't have a tunnel set up anyone on the same
segment could stuff ipv6 frames on your wire. If the machine accepts them then
it doesn't really matter that they're not on a network that's supposed to
support them.

But all Manoj is really saying is we should be careful not to release broken
packages. Rather he's raising a particular failure mode as something to watch
for but he's said that in a way that assumes everything ipv6 related is
probably broken by default, which is kind of annoying.

What I was hoping for was a situation where the instructions for how to get a
debian machine up as an ipv6 node was "install this package" and how to get a
tunnel up was "install this package and answer this configuration options like
this". Rather than the discussion of what kernel modules to recompile and what
magic commands to run.

--
greg