Re: nis+ client status?

On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 06:41:58PM +0300, Sami Haahtinen wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 07:48:10PM -0700, Stuart Marshall wrote:
> > I would like to run some debian machines as nis+ clients.  Is this possible?
> > The NIS howto is old and unclear to me.
>
> yes, it is possible. i run debian with NIS+, i also claimed the sponsorship of
> the package, but i'm thinking about giving it up as the person who made the
> packages never responded me after i claimed it.

Oops - I thought I did. Sorry...

> > indicates that some some additional tools and tweaking to the pam system are
> > needed.
> >
> > I found /usr/lib/libnss_nisplus.so as part of the libc6-dev pkg but don't
> > know what else is needed.
>
> i use the PAM module and the nss library to make the system usable.
>
> you can get the un-official packages from:
> deb http://www.realbodo.de/ debian/
> deb-src http://www.realbodo.de/ debian/
>
> i haven't checked how new those packages are, but they work for me.

NIS+ stuff is up to date (there's no newer upstream version), but I still
have to apply some patches to libpam-unix2.

> you should notice before installing these packages that the nis_cachemgr tends
> to crash once in a while, mostly with oidentd (don't ask me why, because it
> happends only in realtime, not in a debugger.)

A few weeks ago, I added a Conflicts: oidentd.

Bodo

--
Michael 'Bodo' Feger                    Schlund + Partner AG
E-Mail: feger@schlund.de                Erbprinzenstrasse 4 - 12