Re: Bug#72226: adduser(required) depends on perl5(important)
- To: Roland Bauerschmidt <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Cc: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: Bug#72226: adduser(required) depends on perl5(important)
- From: Josip Rodin <email@example.com>
- Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 10:00:36 +0200
- Message-id: <[🔎] 20000923100036.A26525@cibalia.gkvk.hr>
- In-reply-to: <20000923034538.A2301@thinkpad.roland.eu.org>; from firstname.lastname@example.org on Sat, Sep 23, 2000 at 03:45:38AM -0500
- References: <20000922140714.B21843@cibalia.gkvk.hr> <Pine.LNX.3.96.1000922141144.6181Aemail@example.com> <20000922142700.A23127@cibalia.gkvk.hr> <20000923034538.A2301@thinkpad.roland.eu.org>
On Sat, Sep 23, 2000 at 03:45:38AM -0500, Roland Bauerschmidt wrote:
> > Why bloat the essential packages set, instead of simply putting adduser
> > where it belongs? AFAIR everything done with adduser can be done with
> > useradd, which is also required (and isn't essential, either, which is also
> > rather awkward), but doesn't require that perl stuff.
> Maybe this should be discussed in -devel?
Sure. CC: added.
> My first soluction would be
> Depends: perl-base, passwd (>=961025)
> Suggests: liblocale-gettext-perl
> What do you think?
Well, I'm not acquainted with the code, so you'll have to first tell me how
does liblocale-gettext-perl exist in both its own package and in perl5 :)
Anyway, I still don't see why does adduser have to be `Priority: required'.
Packages using it (at least on my system) all check for its existance before
running it, so upgrading it to `Essential: yes' isn't needed, and as I said
above, it doesn't seem to do anything terribly required that can't already
be done with passwd's useradd etc. But, as it already became a standard part
of Debian (it's been here since at least 1995 :), `Priority: standard' would
Digital Electronic Being Intended for Assassination and Nullification