Re: New `dpkg --print-subarchitecture' option

On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 06:52:30PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> How about making `dpkg-arch' with some options to
> a) get the subarchitecture like you want
> b) be able to remove --installation-architecture code from dpkg

You can't really remove that (I mean, you can, but you need it internally
anyway, and so having an external interface isn't bad, except you want to
hide the installation architecture, which seems to be a silly idea, as it is
hard coded everywhere *currently*. Changing that requires a lot of work and
careful thinking).

> c) have everything in a single place

Doing this just so that it is in a single place is unhelpful, we had this
situation (with the single place being dpkg). There are different purposes,
and those should be watched. For example, installation-architecture sits
perfectly in dpkg. dpkg-architecture fits perfectly in dpkg-dev (compile
time decisions). Sub arches are a run time issue, and debianutils isn't a
bad place for that.

> This code does need to be in or near dpkg since I want to be able
> to use it for dependencies at some point..

You need to explain this. How do you want to use it? If it ever becomes a
build issue, I agree it should be in dpkg-architecture. But without knowing
more (and I really would like to hear about plans involving dpkg and
architectures), I can't tell.

Thanks,
Marcus