Re: New `dpkg --print-subarchitecture' option

On Wed, Sep 20, 2000 at 07:18:16PM +0100, Chris Rutter wrote:
> There are a reasonable number of utilities (update-modules, X
> configuration, hwclock) that need to know more than just the processor
> architecture that they're running on -- they need the type of hardware
> as well (e.g. m68k does this).

I don't know for sure, but can't they adapt at run time? The debian
architecture is meant for a decision on recompilation, so if they are the
same Debian port ("alpha", "m68k"), there is no need for dpkg to know
anything about it.

This said, this feature doesn't belong in dpkg at all. If there is a need
for a compile time position with Debian packages, it belongs in
dpkg-architecture.

But then, I am afraid you are not really talking about compile time
decisions that are relevant for package building. In this case I must
ask not to add this to dpkg as it doesn't make sense.

Do you really need another tool? Can uname provide this information?

If not, then there is probably no portable way to determine the
subarchitecture, and I suggest to include the small snippet of code that
parses /proc/whatever in each package, so it is clear that this is
not portable, and protect it with #ifdef LINUX everywhere.

>   * have a separate shell script / small C program;
>   * duplicate the code to calculate this in several different places;

Either, I suppose, if I understood it correctly.

Thanks,
Marcus