Re: Intent To Split: netbase

>  Indeed, a more workable criteria may be to put things in sbin
>  that _require_ priviledges (things like mount, fsck, etc), and say
>  that sbin contains programs that are useless to the unpriviledged
>  user.

This is in fact the intention behind the GNU coding standards
specification, which I wrote.  By this definition, traceroute would
certainly belong in /bin.

(However, certainly there is also the caveat that programs should not
switch directories constantly as they gain features, so there will
alawys be a little inconsistence to accomodate historical practice.)