Re: woody Debian Installer plans

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 03:42:56PM +0200, "Bernhard R. Link" <blink@informatik.uni-freiburg.de> was heard to say:
> It it possible to make it to an boot/install/rescue disk?

  Yes, on two levels:

  First, as Josip already posted, you can make a pure-Grub bootdisk -- take
a disk, dd some files to specific locations on it, and bam! you have a Grub
floppy.

  Second, it's possible to create a disk containing Grub and a linux kernel.
(I know, I've done it :) )  You have to create a filesystem on the disk,
copy the correct Grub files into /boot/grub on it, create a Grub bootsector,
and copy the kernel over.  I don't remember exactly how much space is left,
but all of Grub is only about 70k on the floppy.

> BTW: I have to say that I do not like large bootladers at all. Perhaps I
> wrote to many mini-op-systems that fit within the 512Byte of an
> Bootsektor, but for me a bootloader has to load the operating system and
> be quiet.

  A matter of taste, I guess.  Most of the time (when you're just loading
a default entry), Grub is fairly quick and quiet, but all that extra
functionality saves a lot of trouble when something goes wrong.

  Daniel

--
/----------------- Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu> -----------------\
|             "Fluble, the others want you to know that we                    |