Re: [ot] <rant>grub is great!</rant>

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 08:39:56AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>
> > Well, to be absolutely fair, GRUB didn't look that good about a year (and a
> > half?) ago, before Gordon Matzigkeit and OKUJI Yoshinori started to work on it.
> > For example, there was no system command to install it, you had to install it
> > manually on a boot disk. Now there is the stand alone grub binary, which can
> > be used. Also, Yoshinori fixed a zillion of bugs and added new features.
> While I also think that grub is a fine thing I recommend not to use
> /boot as a separate partition (as it is suggested in some documents).
> I did so (following the suggestions) and was falling into trouble
> with some strange "File not found" messages (See Bug #71661).  While
> I was able to solve the problem using the really strange path
>   /boot/boot/grub

if you have a separate partition for the /boot directory, you have a directory
/grub in the root of *thet* partition. so you have to say grub the new locations
of stage2 and menu.lst.

root (hd1,5)
install /grub/stage1 d (hd0) /grub/stage2 p /grub/menu.lst
boot

i assume that the partition you mount at /boot is (hd1,5). then everything
grub wants is in /grub of taht partition, which is /boot/grub once it is
mounted in your regular system.

does this solve your problem or i'm missing something?

-----[ Domenico Andreoli, aka cavok
  --[ get my public gpg key at http://www.freeweb.org/free/cavok/gpgkey.asc
 -----[ 3A0F 2F80 F79C 678A 8936  4FEE 0677 9033 A20E BC50