Re: [ot] <rant>grub is great!</rant>

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 08:39:56AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>
> > Well, to be absolutely fair, GRUB didn't look that good about a year (and a
> > half?) ago, before Gordon Matzigkeit and OKUJI Yoshinori started to work on it.
> > For example, there was no system command to install it, you had to install it
> > manually on a boot disk. Now there is the stand alone grub binary, which can
> > be used. Also, Yoshinori fixed a zillion of bugs and added new features.
> While I also think that grub is a fine thing I recommend not to use
> /boot as a separate partition (as it is suggested in some documents).
> I did so (following the suggestions) and was falling into trouble
> with some strange "File not found" messages (See Bug #71661).  While
> I was able to solve the problem using the really strange path
>   /boot/boot/grub

wierd. sound's like you're using the boot/ directory of the partition and
then mounting it on /boot ... you need all the kernels/grub/etc. to be in
the / directory of the partition since it is mounted on /boot ...
I've never been a fan of having a separate partition for /boot anyways ...
the / partition should never be more than around 250M IMHO (separate
/home, /usr and /var partitions are a better idea).

> I discovered, that I have to use the kernel image in /boot which
> disables me to use the symlink /vmlinuz which is managed in the
> kernel-image Debian packages.  This is sick because I have to manage
> a symlink in /boot for mynew kernels manually.

This is not true. I use grub with the /vmlinuz symlink. Simply do a

root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz
boot

assuming of course that your root partition is the first primary partition
on the disk ...

Actually, come to think of it it's probably because you're using a separate
/boot that this doesn't work. Symlinks across filesystems don't work in
grub, as there is no fs info stored in a symlink, only the pathname, and
grub doesn't parse /etc/fstab ...

This is a good argument for not having a separate /boot, IMHO ... :)

> This should be noted somewhere.
> Well, grub is beta - no complain, just a hint ... :).
>
> Kind regards
>
>          Andreas.

Hope this helps,

Timshel

--
   Timshel Knoll <timshel@pobox.com>  for Debian email: <timshel@debian.org>
    Second year Computer Science, RMIT   |   CS108 Tutor (Semester 2, 2000)