Re: join us!

> If someone found a seemingly 'old' version in Red Hat 6.2, writing to
> support@redhat.com might or might not yield a result.  You aren't sure who
> at Redhat is responsible for that given piece of software.  In Debian,
> that is _never_ true.  If I find a bug in the X server, I know that I can
> either file a bugreport or write directly to Branden, who maintains it,
> and often a response is immediate.  Debian is the only distribution that
> can say this:  you know the exact person who claims responsiblity for any
> given item.

Uhhh... no you are wrong.
[seifried@chaser seifried]$ rpm -qi usermode
Name        : usermode                     Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 1.26                              Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 3                             Build Date: Wed 12 Jul 2000
10:46:28 PM MDT
Install date: Wed 13 Sep 2000 07:03:57 PM MDT      Build Host:
porky.devel.redhat.com
Group       : Applications/System           Source RPM:
usermode-1.26-3.src.rpm
Size        : 141926                           License: GPL
Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>

So you go to http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla, submit a bug report and 9
times out of ten get an email from someone at redhat in a day or so.

> It's not about duplicating effort at all.  Clearly, you haven't been
> exposed to the 'Debian' way at all.  Debian is very picky about doing
> things the 'right' way.  Since we can't insist that all authors make
> their software do things the 'right' way, since we have the code, we patch
> it and release the diff, which brings the code to Debian specs.  For
> instance, the policy manual clearly says what can and can't go where.
> Nothing in /usr/local, for instance.  If an author wrote the software to
> install in /usr/local, we _must_ patch the software to put it into the
> 'right' place.  You might argue about the duplication of effort, but I
> always know where the documentation, the binary, the libraries, etc, all
> are in any Debian packed piece of software.  And there are lots of other
> less clear examples that can be made.

But quite often the author does do things the "right" way. As for relocating
software I fail to see what that has to do with anything.

> True.  And Debian hasn't been blind: the major criticism is still 'this
> stuff is old' because everyone else rushes stuff out the door except
> Debian.  Package pools will fix that, and it's already in the planning...
> I'm going to guess that Debian 3.0 will implement pools in some fashion,
> and that will make more up-to-date software releases.

Being to fast can be bad, being to slow is also bad. Users still do not
demand security, look at my weekly Linux digest, it's often 50k+.

> > So I'd definitely encourage you to tell people up front that you
> > backport selected improvements, seeking to produce the most stable
> > packages possible.
>
> This should be said clearer, I think the whole thing with Kurt proves
> that.

So far no-one has been able to point me to a Debian webpage regarding
security/updates that has the word "changelog" on it. a good place might be
/security/ or to make a page describing how you handle software updates.

> Hehehe.  Gee, you really don't know Debian at all, do you?  Before you
> write long critics, you should do your homework.  All of this exists.
> Go to the website and take a look.  It's well written and succinct, but
> you haven't read it yourself.

URL please?

> No, Debian doesn't.  It's a volunteer effort, and there are _always_ never
> enough people to do all the jobs.  Slink wasn't broken, it just aged
> badly compared to other distributions because they upgraded.  Compare
> Slink a Redhat 5.2 or a Caldera 1.3 and you see how well done Slink
> was.  Comparing Slink to Mandrake 7.0 isn't at all evenly matched.

Red Hat 4.2 also "aged badly"... as for comparing it to redhat 5.2.... will
6.2 has been out for quite a long time, well before 2.2. heck Red Hat 7.0
beta was out before Debian 2.2.

> The patches they release will apply cleanly, because they will take the
> time and effort.  Red Hat, Mandrake and everyone else take the easy
> road: They just package the new version most of the time and recommend
> everyone upgrade.  They don't take responsiblity, they shift it
> upstream.  "Oops, that might break your system, but it's not our fault,
> they released a new version".  Debian avoids this consistently.

I haven't really found this to be a problem, and I've been using redhat
since ... 3.0.3? As for not taking responsibility... I find that claim
rather lame.

> Debian's bug reporting is impartial.  It's 100% open and mostly archived.
> Anyone can submit a bug report, and you can always see the history, the
> age, etc.   Debian's release of security fixes is usually at the bleeding
> edge.  Often Debian's release is days ahead of the other distributions,
> and keep in mind, our people don't get paid to do this.

Uhhhhhhh I take issue with this. I write a weekly Linux digest, have for
several months, Debian is not the fastest.

-Kurt