Re: modprobe: Can't locate module foo

On Sat, Sep 16, 2000 at 02:31:54PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> man modules.conf, and see /etc/modutils/* for examples.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question.  After browsing
the man page for modules.conf, I believe that I can handle adding an alias.
The real problem, however, is that I need to know what aliases to use.

Shaul Karl informed me that I should just turn off net-pf-10 because it has
to do with IPv6 (which I don't use).  That's one down.

I still need aliases for sound-slot-1 (and possibly sound-service-1-0),
though.  /usr/src/linux-2.4.0-test8/Documentation/sound/Introduction
indicates:

    When a sound card is first referenced and sound is modular the sound
    system will ask for the sound devices to be loaded.  Initially it
    requests that the driver for the sound system is loaded.  It then will
    ask for sound-slot-0, where 0 is the first sound card.  (sound-slot-1
    the second and so on).

My machine has an es1371 sound card, and my /etc/modules file contains only
one entry, a line with only the string "es1371".  Now I use /dev/dsp1 (in
addition to /dev/dsp) so that I can avoid conflict with KDE's aRts, or,
when I'm running GNOME, so that I can avoid using esd, which works well for
system sounds but causes noise when I connect to it with xmms.  So maybe
that accounts for the system requests for sound-slot-1 (instead of
sound-slot-0).  Still it is a mystery to me.

The modutils maintainer has in /etc/modules.conf

    alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
    alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1

Perhaps this is not generally right?

Finally, there is char-major-145.  No mention of it anywhere under
/usr/src/linux.

--
Thomas E. Vaughan <thomas.vaughan@nssl.noaa.gov>
CIMMS/NSSL, Norman, OK, USA