Re: RFP: WayV -- gesture based user interface

On Sun, Sep 10, 2000 at 09:51:23PM +0300, Tommi Virtanen wrote:
> 1. Experiment with human computer interaction, especially gesture
> based computing.
>
> 2. Initially some programs that work by extending the functionality of
> the mouse to allow gestures to represent actions, i.e. draw a C and
> xcalc starts, draw an N and Netscape starts, etc.

By the way, this interface has been in use for years in an
electronics CAD suite called Mentor Graphics. All the common
operations are executed fastest by drawing these "strokes"
eg draw a D to delete something, a downwards line opens
the next level down in the design, etc. It is a nifty
interface which is very fast to use once you learn it.

I maintain a package called libstroke0 which is a free
library that emulates this. The gEDA GPL electronics CAD suite
(alpha software) has support for it. There are patches
for an old version of FVWM available too -- you can use
strokes to do things. I had N for Netscape, D for delete
a window, downwards stroke for a new xterm, etc.

Cheers
Hamish