Re: Problems with mail system? [Fwd: Returned mail: User unknown]

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 05:00:39PM -0500, Joseph Carter wrote:
> Complete bullshit.  Show me the RFC that says you may only have one DNS
> name attached to an IP at a time.  You can't do it because it doesn't
> exist.  Several Debian developers have debian.net subdomains which do not
> reverse because they have no control over their DNS even though their IP
> addresses are static.  My static IP address with @home (yes, I did
> convince them to give me one) is cc659474-a.indnpls1.in.home.com as far as
> they are concerned.  I have no desire to use that hostname on my email, so
> I have this:
>
> tank.debian.net         A       24.22.127.210

There is no problem with that..  Every mail that leaves my system comes from
207.99.50.34 and I host over 50 domains here.

> This is perfectly legal practice according to every RFC I have ever read.
> It is also quite legitimate for my system to declare that it is
> tank.debian.net which does indeed resolve to a valid IP address.  The fact
> people such as yourself would add the additional requirement that
> 24.22.127.210 resolve back to tank.debian.net has nothing to do with what
> the RFC's state is correct.
>
> If I file a bug against a package and my report is bounced as probably
> spam, I will NMU the package immediately without discussion or further
> attempts at a warning.  As a Debian developer, you have an obligation to
> maintain your packages.  If you wish to act stupid regarding your mail
> policies that's fine - until it interferes with maintaining packages.  At
> that point, it affects all of us.

24.22/16 is not listed on the DUL anwyay.  Whoever is bouncing your mail
must have manually added you to their spam filters, or possibly all of 24/8.

--Adam