Re: RSA Released Into The Public Domain

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 09:38:10AM -0400, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
>  `The RSA algorithm was released into the public domain today
>   (September 6th, 2000). This is in advance of their US patent
>   expiring on the 20th.'
>
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/09/06/1252204&mode=thread
>
> So some stuff can get moved from non-US/main into main proper?

I think it's more likely to mean that packages like gpg-rsa, pgp-i,
rsaref, and rsaref2 may be able to move into non-US/main if their
licences are otherwise DFSG-free (as the US
government still has some restrictions on exporting cryptography).

Happy day, though.

--
Colin Watson                                     <cjw44@flatline.org.uk>