Re: [peter@makholm.net: Re: ITP hodie]]

> "Christian T. Steigies" <cts@debian.org> writes:
>
> > What does it do?
> >      It has the same functionality as the date (1) program, only... It
> >      has it in grammatically correct latin.
>
> Couldn't this be done with gettext and the normal date comand?
>
> --
> Peter
>
> ----- End forwarded message -----
> Can it?
>
> Christian

Not quite. The problem is that latin uses a rather backwardish
addressing of dates. You have three *main days* in a month: Kalends,
Nonae and Idus. Kalends is the first day of each month, and Nonae is
mostly the 7th, but sometimes the 5th, and Idus mostly the 15th, but
sometimes the 13th.

The day before a main day is the 'pridie', the day after 'postridie'.
All other days are counted downwards - inclusively -  to the next main
day. Even when the next day is the Kalends of the next month (or in
December, the next year).

To complicate it even further, the 25th of February in leap years is the
24th, but with the suffix 'bis' (two, second)...

It might be doable, but I don't think that it'd be very easily done....
It would most probably amount to roughly the same effort as I've had in
programming hodie.

// Mikael Johansson
--- Begin Message ---
> "Christian T. Steigies" <cts@debian.org> writes:
>
> > What does it do?
> >      It has the same functionality as the date (1) program, only... It
> >      has it in grammatically correct latin.
>
> Couldn't this be done with gettext and the normal date comand?
>
> --
> Peter
>
> ----- End forwarded message -----
> Can it?
>
> Christian

Not quite. The problem is that latin uses a rather backwardish
addressing of dates. You have three *main days* in a month: Kalends,
Nonae and Idus. Kalends is the first day of each month, and Nonae is
mostly the 7th, but sometimes the 5th, and Idus mostly the 15th, but
sometimes the 13th.

The day before a main day is the 'pridie', the day after 'postridie'.
All other days are counted downwards - inclusively -  to the next main
day. Even when the next day is the Kalends of the next month (or in
December, the next year).

To complicate it even further, the 25th of February in leap years is the
24th, but with the suffix 'bis' (two, second)...

It might be doable, but I don't think that it'd be very easily done....
It would most probably amount to roughly the same effort as I've had in
programming hodie.

// Mikael Johansson

--- End Message ---