Re: why apt/dpkg not using bzip2

On Sun, Sep 03, 2000 at 11:49:32PM -0300, Nicol?s Lichtmaier wrote:

> > >  I had a 486 with 8Mb and with `bzip2 -s' I could use bzipped packages
> > > perfectly... are we talking about 4 Mb mechines?
> > Do you realize how much ram dpkg itself already takes up? Add that to
> > bzip2 and you are definitely swapping, even with 8 megs of RAM. Heck,
> > doing this, and you need 16megs *free* physical memory just to keep from
> > swapping. As for 4 meg machines, the current gzip setup is almost
> > unbearable just for that (believe me, I have an 8 meg system, and I don't
> > want to even imagine a 4 meg system trying to handle dpkg, much less
> > dpkg+bzip2).
>
>  Uhm.. you are right. But it could still be used for Packages.gz and for the
> source package. Many packages are now being packaged in bz2 upstream (eg.
> lftp, one of mine)...

For Sources and Packages that's fine, IMO, but your assertion about
source packages is a little misleading. apt-get source for gcc and
glibc[1]. Check the tarballs internally. You'll notice they are .tar.bz2.
This is done with little loss of space over straight .bz2. A new format
and hacking is not needed for you to use this already (packages doing this
need to Build-Depend on bzip2).

Ben

[1]: Also check openldap, shadow and pam for the same style setups. Yes,
it's sort of a hack, but it's a clean hack and the system provides much
more than a way to package up .bz2 tarballs.