Re: why apt/dpkg not using bzip2

On Sun, Sep 03, 2000 at 05:06:34PM +0600, Sergey I. Golod wrote:
> David Starner wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Sep 03, 2000 at 03:15:10PM +0600, Sergey I. Golod wrote:
> > > Hello.
> > >
> > > Why apt/dpkg doesn't use bzip2 for Packages file?
> > >
> > > -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       749427 Sep  3 00:56 Packages.bz2
> > > -rw-r--r--    1 root     root     1024180 Sep  3 00:56 Packages.gz
> > >
> > > It's about 25% can be saved in download.
> >
> > Historical reasons - bzip2 is newer than gzip, and didn't exist when the
> > choice was made.
>
> ok. now bzip2 exist - first reason is not applied :-)

Historical reasons still apply because there is a significant cost in
changing historical practices.

> > Standards reasons - gzip is essential: yes on Debian, and is required for dpkg
> > anyway. bzip2 is still priority optional, and it hasn't gained enough usage
> > through other channels to be raised to standard.
>
> why we can't change this behavior? At least in woody.

I guess it will be changed, according to Ben Collins. The last comment still
stands, though - it's not used outside Debian enough to be standard.

> > Speed reasons - gzip is significantly faster than bzip2, which matters
> > for old ix86 (x=3,4) and m68k machines which run Debian.
>
> But extra size = extra money, that's more worse. On saved money everybody can
> upgrade they old machines.

Well, some of us don't have that problem - most Americans have flat rate
connections.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
http/ftp: dvdeug.dhis.org