Re: APT problem

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Michael Meskes wrote:

> | Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
> |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
> ||/ Name            Version        Description
> +++-===============-==============-============================================
> ii  libc6           2.1.3-10       GNU C Library: Shared libraries and Timezone
> feivel:~# dpkg --print-avail libc6

> Package: libc6
> [...]
> Version: 2.1.3-10
> [...]
> feivel:~# apt-get upgrade
> [...]
> Get:1 ftp://ftp.corel.com corellinux-1.2/corel_updates libc6 2.1.3-10 [1904kB]
> [...]

> Could anyone please explain this to me? Did Corel do anything to their files
> that makes apt think it has to upgrade although its up-to-date? Or is this
> a bug in apt?

This is a feature going awry in APT.. someone at Corel must have done
something weird to their package files. Basically APT looks at the
control records in the packages for tell tale signs of recompiles. Ie if
you have one package that depends on libc6 and one that depends on libc5
it can know. In this case it differentiates the remote package and the
local package and then always installs the remote package.

What needs to be done is diff the record from the corel package file
against what is in their .deb and see if there is a difference in any
fields.

Depending on what it is I will say two things
   1) Forget it, corel has to update their package file
   2) Oops, APT needs to ignore that difference.

Jason