Re: /bin/ksh as a default POSIX shell

> On Wed, Aug 30, 2000 at 10:10:04AM +0100, Anton Ivanov wrote:
> >
> > It parses command line -en different from bash. Different getopts ;-)
>
> How does it differ? AFAIK, ash's getopts is POSIX compliant.

	Sorry, wrote my first message with too high blood level in the caffeine
subsystem. I meant echo -ne.

	Yes, you are correct about getopts, but most linux shell scripts rely on gnu
getopts. Which parses -ne as an equivalent of -n -e.

	Example from apache start scripts: echo -ne

aivanov@tranquility:~$ echo -ne "Reloading $NAME configuration.\n"
Reloading  configuration.
aivanov@tranquility:~$ ash
\u@\h:\w$ echo -ne "Reloading $NAME configuration.\n"
-ne Reloading  configuration.\n
\u@\h:\w$

b0rken...

Non-critical here.

Can be worse somewhere else. There was a point when the kernel could not be
built using ash because of that (check linux-kernel last year).

[snip]

--
Anton R. Ivanov ARI2-RIPE
mailto:aivanov@sigsegv.cx