Re: Subpackaging (Was: Potato now stable)

Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2000 at 08:58:31PM +0100, Edward Betts wrote:
> First, including each architecture and source in every .deb suddenly
> balloons our 3 CD set to get i386 binaries to a ~15 CD set. It also
> kills non-broadband net upgrades (you *really* want to download six
> copies of emacs plus all its source?). I'm not sure how you'd build
> such a .deb either, without having personal access to machines of every
> supported arch.

My suggestion was that packages would look like this on the ftp server:

dists/unstable/main/admin/at/

instead of:

dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/admin/at_3.1.8-10.deb

But that is a bit dumb, so forget it, have it looking like this:

dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/admin/at/ and:
dists/unstable/main/binary-all/admin/at/

Maybe stick some symlinks in binary-i386 for the man pages in binary-all.

If you keep everything in a single .deb that means that there are multiple
copies of the man pages. On a machine with 8 archs, that is 8 copies of the
man page you are storing.

--
Don't worry  --  shop.