Re: Menu hierarchie for different users and general user settings

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Andreas Tille wrote:

> interesting one for this kind of user.  So I wonder if there could
> be installed a mechanism in the menu system which serves the
> following functionality:
>
>    1. list menuitems of all installed software (the state we have now)
>       for the experienced user
  [...]

This together with internationalisation seems to be a very difficult goal.

I would prefer to have language and more important advantage of a user not
as fixed values but values that can be modified by user in the menu.

A very convenient way would to have the normal all-and-every-thing menu as
standards and user-definable changes on a per user basis.

Perhaps a file like

---
GENERAL type child
GENERAL language german
INCLUDE xzy/exclude-non-free
RENAME_ITEM games Spielchen
EXCLUDE_ITEM games/uvw
INCLUDE_ITEM <Format wie in bisherigen Menues>
---

Where GENERAL ist just a kind of include /usr/lib/menus/stencil/$where/$what
and could be easily changed by a little programm.

(Or even the programm making the wm-configs out of this could have
a --temp-override language xzy, which could presented in a little
menuitem.)

It's advantage would be a very convenient way for the user to
change.

It's disadvantage would be the enourmous amount of time to recompile all
user-settings when the main-menu-database changes.

Hochachtungsvoll,
  Bernhard R. Link