Re: PIPI (Parsed Input Process Initiator) -- another silly proposal?

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Jules Bean wrote:

> Hmm.  You mean something like this:
>
> [audio player expects left audio on FD 3 and right audio on FD 4]
>
> bash% audio-player 3< left.wav 4< right.wav
>
> [the extension to pipes instead of files is left to the reader, who
> will want to consult the manual pages for his shell for the advanced
> redirection commands]
>
> I have yet to be convinced that the proposed package offers anything
> more than standard unix facilities (even if some, like the above, are
> underused).

Notes:
Actually in PIPI the input streams are named (so for a command line
interface it would rather look like "Shell% audio-player chan_l< left.wav
chan_r< right.wav"). Another note is that it could have any type of front
ends (even a GUI -- let's say you choose a stereo wave file from a menu
and then the front end pipies the left channel from the file to "chan_l"
and the right channel to "chan_r", never mind they're in the same file.)

Excuses:
Actually this means that the applications need to be recomplied. Also,
this is not a ready project (you mention "package"), but rather still a
draft. Sorry for concerning you; all I wanted was comments.

Sorry if I've misled you (it's not my first time -- I should work on it),
Pavel