Re: RMS comments: Gnome part of the GNU operating system.

On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 10:03:07AM -0700, Craig Brozefsky wrote:
> > I do not reject his accomplishments.  I do reject his open hostility
> > toward his supporters if they stray from his way of thinking.
>
> Can you point out what is hostile in the letter RMS wrote?
>
> RMS consistently explains why he differs with Open Source, or those
> who call Linux just that, and not GNU/Linux.  The fact that he is
> consistent in the presentation of this disagreement whenever Free
> Software and Open Source are confused, or where GNU/LInux is called
> Linux does not make him a hostile person.  I've never seen him call
> someone an idiot, or incompetent or any other derogatory name for
> disagreeing with him on these issues.

Now go and talk to him sometime and listen to HOW he says these things he
says so consistantly.  I have.  Needless to say, we disagree on methods
(he says we disagree on basic principles - I don't believe people should
be forced to take free software and like it, I think they should have a
choice to make and choose free software because it's simply better and
better for them..)  Any such disagreement inevitably ends in Richard
yelling at whomever disagrees with him on any point.

So I am a heretic to the Church of GNU.  And you know what?  I don't much
care.  I write free software for my reasons, not his or yours or anyone
else's.  I don't and won't force it on other people just because I think
it's right.  And until Richard can stop doing the same, he doesn't and
won't represent me.

If we want something nice to get born in nine months, then sex has to
happen.  We want to have the kind of sex that is acceptable and fun for both
people, not the kind where someone is getting screwed. Let's get some cross
fertilization, but not someone getting screwed.
        -- Larry Wall