Re: new fields in debian/control

On Sun, Jul 16, 2000 at 01:32:26PM -0400, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Package: packaging-manual
>
> I'm adding three new fields to debian/control:
>
> * Origin
>   This lists the origin of a package. For all Debian packages this should
>   be `Debian'.
> * Submit-Bugs-To
>   An mailto URL to which bugs should be submitted. (It's a URL so
>   we can support other types of BTSes at a later date if needed)
> * Submit-Bugs-Style
>   Style in which submitted bugreports should be formatted. Currently
>   the only option here is `debbugs'.

While we are on the topic of items to add to debian/control, I would
like to suggest

* Install-Depends

This field could be used to specify packages that are required only
during the installation phase, eg. packages such as debconf, wget,
etc. Packages in the Install-Depends field are completely unnecessary
for the normal execution of the installed package. Once the
installation phase is over, these packages might be safely
removed. Packages like deborphan can remove Install-depends packages
to eliminate further cruft from a system.

Gopal

--
Gopal Narayanan <gopal@debian.org> <gopal@astro.umass.edu>
Debian GNU/Linux Developer