Re: Debian Weekly News - June 27th, 2000

Branden Robinson wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 12:12:42AM -0400, Adam McKenna wrote:
> > >
> > > Sorry, Napoleon, but it's not up to you.  In this project we put such
> > > matters to a vote.
> >
> > I think it was obvious that he was making a prediction, not giving an
> > order.
>
> "There will be no supper for you tonight."  Is that a prediction, or an
> implication that the speaker has sufficient power to volitionally
> achieve the result stated?

The example phrase you used suggested power, since we all
recognize it as a parent speaking to a child.  I did not infer
the same context from Jérôme's word.

I didn't think he was ordering us around when I read it.

I can't believe we're having this conversation either.  I hope
Debian can return to a less confrontational attitude soon.

Peter