Re: Suggestion

On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 11:12:58PM +0200, Cherubini Enrico wrote:

> I have a suggestion for adding a new funcion to dpkg. I install many libs
> and I like to try new packages that often I remove after some days or hours.
> No probs if the packages doesn't need libs, but often it happens that
> installing it I install many otherpackages like libs etc. It would be nice
> to have a way to know who installed what, so when you remove a packages you
> are adviced in which other packeges should be removed. Ie. calling Installed
> the field in the status file that show this information, if there are more
> than one packages that is based on it the removing one of them there will be
> not answers, but when we'll remove the last one you have to be adviced that
> the remaining package is not more useful and should be removed...It's like a
> back-dependedency check.

Package: deborphan
 deborphan finds "orphaned" packages on your system. It determines which
 packages have no other packages depending on their installation, and shows
 you a list of these packages. It is most useful when finding libraries, but
 it can be used on packages in all sections.

--
Malcolm Parsons
finger malcolm@bits.bris.ac.uk for info