Re: ITP: pyching

Am Fre, 14 Jul 2000 01:58:11 Jorgen 'forcer' Schaefer Sie:
> Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:
>
> > On Thu, Jul 13, 2000 at 10:48:48PM +0200, Jorgen 'forcer' Schaefer wrote:
> > >   pyChing is a program that allows you to 'consult' the I
> > >   Ching. The I Ching is an ancient Chinese book of wisdom,
> >
> > Is the book included in the package?
>
> There are some source files including some excerpts from the
> book, mostly interpretations.  So i guess this doesn't fall under
> book copyrights?

I can't tell without knowing more about how much and how it is used.
If there are some quotes in a context, this is likely fair use, but
the original source should be named.

I don't know if we have a general opinion of fair use material in free
software. After all, it is still copyrighted. But I think it is okay.
(For example, the msdos driver in the kernel has some char set tables
from MS).

Thanks,
Marcus