Re: MOSIX - kernel space clustering implementation

On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, jpb wrote:

> Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn wrote:
> >
> > Load balance and process migration; used in production environments.
> >
> >   http://www.mx.org
> >
> > Anyone looking into it?
> >
> > This seems to be a subject noone (on this list) wants to touch. And I
> > wonder: WHY? As I see it, there is _real_ need for a debianized cluster
> > solution.
> >
> > Both red hat and suse got mosix packages (the mosix creators distribute
> > those packages). Red Hat has launched a version of the Linux operating
> > system for use in clustered server environments:
> >
> >   http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2000-07-11-007-06-PS-HE-RH
> >
> > "It is available online and from resellers priced at $1995."
> >
> > I posted a message "Subject: proposed new deb package" on the 5th of July,
> > 2000, but nobody reacted.
>
> I must not have seen it.  I just got a nice new dell box to replace an
> old sparc20, and am going to be running mosix on it.
>
> How much have you got done?  I've basically just downloaded the sources
> and am going to do the kernel build & reinstall this weekend so I don't
> have to listen to whining from the grad students when the machine starts
> bouncing up and down.

The sad story is that you have to follow the "Manual Installation"
instructions in the README file. There's an installation perl script too
in there (might work) but it's no longer supported.

The new binary installer is tailored for red hat and suse. Not very useful
on a Debian distribution :-(

You might also want to look into:

  DFSA is an option within MOSIX(7) that allows remote processes (eg. pro­
  cesses that currently run away from their home-node) under some condi­
  tions to perform most of their I/O and file-system operations directly
  where they run instead of having to contact their home-node.

  DFSA operates over suitable, cluster-wide shared file-systems that ful­
  fill certain requirements.  The only file-system to currently fulfill
  those requirements is the MOSIX File-System (See MFS(7)). More file-sys­
  tems (such as GFS) will hopefully also comply to the DFSA requirements in
  the future.

> And I agree, debian clustering support would kick butt.
>
> jpb
> --
> Joe Block <jpb@creol.ucf.edu>
> CREOL System Administrator
>
> Social graces are the packet headers of everyday life.

Good luck,
/Cristian

--
I respect faith, but doubt is what gets you an education. -- Wilson Mizner