Re: init script config files

On Sun, Jul 09, 2000 at 01:22:50AM -0400, Christopher W. Curtis wrote:

> Either way you're rewriting the script.  One lives in init.d, the other
> config.d.  The assurance is that config.d will never change unless you
> manually change it.

there is no such assurance.  i prefer to replace the real initscript
then rely on some fragile obfuscated chain of scripts sourcing each other.

> No.  Put 'exit 0' at the end of config.d/foo and it exits 0.

ugly

> Because it is not meant to replace ssd, and the additional things that
> it does do are not proper to be part of ssd as they have nothing to do
> with starting or stopping daemons.  (eg, status)

status cannot be done in a generic way, it must be done in each script
individually, that is the only hope (and a small one at that) of the
status actually doing anything useful or accurate.

> Your implication was that the defaults would change each time the init
> script is updated, which I assert is simply not true.

wrong, my implication is that the variables themselves may need to be
changed, perhaps program arguments change, or perhaps a new default
should be added.  there are MANY reasons the config file may need to
be updated.  your implication is that no config file should ever have
to be upgraded at all, does that apply to say /etc/ssh/sshd_config?

> If they are defined.  You defined 0 success, anything else failure.

so define them, and implement them in start-stop-daemon (if they are
not already) there is no need to create obfuscation and chaos.

> Using those functions does not meet the definition of obfuscate.

yes they do.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/