Previously Adam McKenna wrote:
> I don't know if the "free software community" was disturbed.  Maybe RMS and
> the FSF were disturbed, and I understand Debian is under significant
> political pressure from them to remove non-free (and I believe that is the
> reason for this proposal)

We are not under pressure to remove non-free. What the FSF would like to see
is a homepage which doesn't mention non-free, a place where people can go
and look at our distribution and documentation without encountering anything
that is not free. The same holds for our (FTP) archive.

That is different from removing non-free, and can be accomplished in
different manors:
* remove non-free
* create a `pure' version of www.debian.org and ftp.debian.org
* move non-free to something like debian-nonfree.org or whatever you name it.

Wichert.

 / Generally uninteresting signature - ignore at your convenience  \
| wichert@liacs.nl                    http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/ |