Re: SECURITY PROBLEM: autofs [all versions]

Hi,

> I'm obviously doing something wrong ...
>
> I've written to the maintainer of the autofs package according to the
> page summary listed under 'packages' from the website, and as I also saw
> somewhere else (dpkg -s listing?).  I filed a bug report against autofs
> and marked it as release critical.  I have heard nothing for the past
> two (three?) days and need to make this known:
>
> There is a severe security problem for all debian machines running any
> version of autofs and having a floppy drive available as /dev/fd0.  The
> options listed in /etc/auto.misc fail to include the options
> "nosuid,nodev" and as such anyone with a floppy disk and physical access
> to a floppy drive may become root on that machine.
>
> Here is the 'sploit:

huh ? and you call this an xploit ?

if you have physical access to the console and floppy drive you can always
start with a boot + root floppy, mount the hard disk and modify the
mounted /etc/passwd file ... this is an old trick, usefull when you
loose the root password ;-)

---
;---+---;
bye |