Re: Debian Weekly News - June 27th, 2000

pseelig said:
> Consider this: any reasonable person who would like to package
> non-free software for Debian simply *can't* because we don't allow him
> to do so even for Debian non-free.  KDE is an example for which other
> distributions are less prohibitive.

Nothing actually prevents a reasonable person from packaging whatever he
or she likes.  And nothing prevents a reasonable person from distributing
"unnoficial" .debs if they choose to do so.

	I fail to see what other distributions (with differing
distribution policies) do as having anything to do with Debian.  Each
distribution chooses thier own philosophy.  Currently Debian chooses the
Free Software camp.  I like it this about Debian and so do alot of others
who use Debian.  Reinforcing this within Debian does not really eliminate
the use of non-free with Debian, it just shifts the responsibility for the
quality of non-free software to those who choose to use use, package or
distribute it.

--
ptw
miscelaneous endeavors