Embedded Debian Cross Development Environments Available

Hello,

I'm pleased to announce the availability of the first *test* release of
Embedded Debian Cross Development Environments. Here are the specs:

    * Hosts:
        - Debian i386 (potato-ish)
        - RPM based i386

    * Targets:
        - PowerPC Linux
        - ARM Linux

    * Packages:
        - Binutils 2.9.5.0.37
        - GCC 2.95.2
        - GlibC 2.1.3
        - Based on Debian packages, with added support for cross
          configurations.

    * Capabilities:
        - C development
        - Useful for Linux kernel development on both Debian and RPM based
          hosts
        - Useful for application development (in C) on Debian hosts only.

For more information and download instructions, go to

    http://www.emdebian.org

and check out the link "Cross Development Environments" at the top of the
page.

As I mentioned, this is a *test* release. Some notes:

    * The PowerPC cross compilers have been tested by
        - Building Linux kernel 2.2.14 and running it successfully
        - Building GNU hello, linked static & dynamic
        - Binaries tested on a PowerPC 750
    * The ARM cross compilers have been tested by
        - Building GNU hello, linked static & dynamic
        - I do not have an ARM host so these binaries have not been tested
    * The version of GlibC is likely not appropriate for non-FPU
      processors.
    * I've only tried installing the .debs on a recent version of
      potato. I know someone who tried a slink install, but that didn't
      go so well. YMMV.

Roadmap:

    * Expanding the list of supported hosts
    * Expanding the list of supported programming languages
    * Support for non-FPU processors
    * User's Documentation
    * Much Much More

I am very interested in hearing of your experiences with this software.

Suggestions are welcome!

I am particularly interested in comments from Debian developers,
especially those who have done maintainer work on the packages I've
had my evil ways with :-)

Regards,
Frank.

----
Frank Smith, MCompSci
Principal Software Designer      frank.smith@amirix.com
AMIRIX Systems Inc.              http://www.amirix.com/
Embedded Debian Project          http://www.emdebian.org/
77 Chain Lake Drive              902-450-1700 x289 (Phone)
Halifax, N.S. B3S 1E1            902-450-1704 (FAX)