groff with metapost

Hi all,

I guess that the following situation might be not so well-known
and I was surprised to find that part of MetaPost could not work
with groff (so in Linux)!!!

I wish someone will be interested in the problem and make DMP
to work with groff :)

NOTE: MetaPost is something like MetaFont but MetaPost generates
PostScript file instead of bitmap font.

Info of MetaPost says as follows;
--------------------
  DMP was written for one particular Troff implementation, and it
unfortunately has many built-in assumptions about the output and fonts
file formats used by Troff, which may not be satisfied in other
environments.  In particular, GNU groff uses some extensions in its file
formats described in groff_font(5) and groff_out(5) which make its
output completely unusable for DMP.  On the other hand, the Troff
version found in Sun Solaris 2.x, and perhaps other systems derived from
System V R4, works fine with the default settings.

(snip)

     Any contributions to improve the portability of DMP or to make it
     work with GNU groff are welcome, of course.
--------------------

For example one can find the evidence of "DMP was written
for one particular Troff implementation";

/usr/bin/makempx contains the line
": ${TROFF='eqn -d\$\$ | troff -Tpost'}" which might be
": ${TROFF='eqn -d\$\$ | troff -Tps'}" in case of groff.
(Of course only this does not solve the problem ;-)

You can find the source files in
tetex-bin-1.0.6/texk/web2c/mpware/
if you get the source package of tetex-bin.

And if someone knows information about this then please
tell me anything.

Thanks in advance,		2000.6.19

--
 Debian JP Developer - much more I18N of Debian
 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp>